By definition and originally in Hinduism and Buddhism, a mantra is a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation. It can also be a statement or slogan repeated frequently.
The word mantra can be broken down into two parts: “man,” which means mind, and “tra,” which means transport or vehicle. In other words, a mantra is an instrument of the mind.
Mantras literally have the power to interrupt negativity and invite change in life. Studies conducted on mantras show that using them can reduce stress levels. Mantras have the ability to actually change your brain’s chemistry. How cool is that?
Do you have a go to word or statement you repeat to yourself?
I have several which I have plastered on the walls at my office, repeat to my children, and share frequently on social media. I know the love for mantras is not mine alone, so I asked the women in my online communities to share theirs. Here is what they shared:
- Tomorrow is a new day. Debbie Spina Piperno
- Why put off tomorrow what you can do today. Dee Sands
- Your time is now. Lauren Piccirillo
- Don’t give in, but don’t give up. Christine Whitmore
- If you don’t ask, you will never know. Joanne Trancucci Gubitosi
- No Rules…No Boundaries… DrJoy Ohayia
- Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Jessica Feldman Mashkevich
- Life is not a dress rehearsal. Sabina Hitchen
- Worrying about things that may not happen is like paying interest on money you may never borrow. Julie Davelman
- It’s today, my favorite day! Dori DeCarlo
- Wherever you are, be the soul of that place. Megan Baker
- First do what is necessary, then do what is possible and soon you will be doing the impossible! Angela Squicciarini
- When building a business don’t sacrifice your family’s happiness. Make sure you set expectations. Ilsy Josefina-Hoo
- There are things in life that will threaten to dim your light, use them as fuel to shine brighter. Gerry Marie
- Jog your mind. Run to the library. Laura Rokosz
- You are okay. Michelle Cleary
- What goes around, comes around. It’s the BarterPays slogan and it’s true in business and in life! Lisa Barter
- If God Brings You too it, he’ll bring you through it. Kerri Fox
- Health is my best wealth! Janet LaFergola Brancato
- This too shall pass. Alexandra Amato
All that glitters isn’t gold. Nicole Damon Esposito
- I am here now. I have arrived. Clare Morris Broderick
- Do what you love. Love what you do. Loretta Schiavone Vingara
- Close your eyes and jump. Andrea Alicakos Tsap
- Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step. Amanda Chimento
- If you don’t ask the answer is “no.” Mary Wendroff Petto
- Leap, and the net will follow. Jeanne DeSimone Blodi
- It’s a great day to be amazing! Vallori Thomas
My mantra for 2017 was clarity, which led us to discovering the theme for ETTWomen’s Annual conference. I have to admit to getting that and so much more!
Now that you know how powerful mantras can be, how will you put them into practice?