With some tender love and gentle care, your lips can be sweet like sugar and smooth as silk. Here are some dos and don’ts and a quick, easy recipe for healthy and luscious winter lips.
- Lick your lips. I know, this is a big one for a lot of us. However, licking helps to draw moisture from your lips leaving it even more dehydrated and even drier.
- Bite, nibble nor pick at your lips. Aside from causing irritation to the already fragile area, the open skin can be prone to infection.
- Use spicy foods or acidic substances if your lips are chapped. They will cause further irritation.
- Drink lots of water. Hydrating and replacing lost moisture is important, especially in the winter when its not apparent that water loss is taking place.
- Exfoliate your lips two to three times per week with an exfoliating agent like sugar (see recipe at the end). This will remove dead and flaky skin.
- Moisturize with a light, lip balm, that contains SPF 8 or more. Because of its thin and fragile nature, lips are more prone to sunburn and further thinning.
Lips Like Sugar Scrub Recipe
1/4 tsp of organic brown sugar
1/4 tsp of olive oil
1/4 tsp coconut oil (optional)
Preparation and Use
Combine sugar and olive oil in a small bowl.
Using your fingers, apply a small amount to your lips. Be sure to rub gently.
Cleanse with lukewarm water. Tap dry with a paper towel.
Apply your regular lip balm or use a dab of olive oil on your lip.
… viola!! Lips like sugar. Pouts out Chicas!!
***this can be done 3 to 4 times per week.