Psychographics is an important and often little understood area of market research. They are primarily attitudes and values that define and influence lifestyles and purchasing patterns.
Understanding the underlying motivations of how and why particular people make their purchases helps you create customer profiles.
Considered the real driver in consumer marketing today, psychographics, is about what activities people do. It is all about lifestyle, and what people do with their disposable income.
This information is compiled from survey answers for a variety of topics, where respondents are required to complete a series of questions that will later be used to classify them into a segment based upon how they “feel” towards a variety of issues, messages, insights, etc.
Here are some questions to ask yourself about your customer:
- Do they belong to Professional Organizations/Charities?
- What is their profession?
- What are their weekend Activities?
- What are their dining preferences?
- What are they reading?
- What are their sources of entertainment?
- Were do they shop?
- Which websites do they visit?
- Where do they travel for vacation? How often?
- What do they watch on TV?
- What electronics do they use?
- What type of car do they drive?
Remember, this is not about you, it’s about understanding why your customers buy and therefore very important to meet them where they are.
Do you know who you serve?